Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dry Spell Showers


Occasionally I write essays for a collaborative writers' website. This was one I posted about  when "I feel awkward in my relationship with Jesus, like something’s not quite fitting..." To read the whole thing you can visit the link below for www.baaaaa.com .


When I read stories of people in the Bible, it’s like reading about old friends, people I once knew and still remember. Martha is no exception. In fact, I believe I owe Martha an apology.

For years, I identified with her sister Mary, the emotional, extravagant worshiper who ‘wasted’ her love on Jesus. I admired her passion and the depth of her love. I looked at Martha scurrying about the kitchen and shook my head, “Tsk, tsk.”

My judgment came from some self-righteous place in my heart that exalted the right brain, with all its passion, creativity and emotion. After all, that’s where I spent much of my time, so it must be the better half, right? I believed that extravagant, right-brain worship somehow pleased Jesus more than left-brain worship.

So, here it is: I’m in a dry place. No spiritual crisis of faith, just dry. It happens. These days, I can’t rely on my usual right-brain methods of connecting with Jesus. This extravagant worshiper is not so extravagant right now. Instead, I’m connecting with Jesus on a more intellectual plane. That’s not exactly new, because I’ve always been a nerd; the difference is, I was an emotional, messy, creative nerd. Now that my inner artist is on retreat, I feel awkward in my relationship with Jesus, like something’s not quite fitting.

Until I read about Martha.....To read more visit
http://baaaaa.com/2012/01/31/dry-spell-showers/#comments

No comments:

Post a Comment