Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Bruised Fruit Salsa

Occasionally I write essays for a collaborative writers' website. This was one I posted about being "bruised and battered on the outside—but teeming with possibilities and potential in the right hands. They just need someone with vision to come along and pluck them from the bin." To read the whole thing you can visit the link to www.baaaaa.com below.

We have a new produce store in our town. It’s reminiscent of a red-and-white-striped roadside stand, with air conditioning and doors that magically open when they sense my presence. My son and I visited on a day when a good portion of the produce was past its ‘sell by’ date. Bruised fruit sold at a deep discount, displaying a dance company of fruit flies. Blemished limes, soft tomatoes, spotted peppers, slightly brown cilantro, and fruit-fly-adorned red onions filled up my basket alongside several other selections. My mouth watered at the prospect of the culinary delight I had planned for my produce-stand rejects.

I could already envision the playful argument I would have with my husband, forbidding him to put the bowl of salsa to his lips like an umbrella drink. “That’s what the tortilla chips are for.”... To read the more go to  http://baaaaa.com/2012/06/12/bruised-fruit-salsa/#comments

No comments:

Post a Comment