Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Carol Contemplations: What Child is This?




"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5



https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AWrF4nK6txr-q-xZtu-
pfQHUP-j6zwKYGrPTu_qJscNhUBPS71VP438/

While others are rejoicing in the merriment of the season there are those who are mourning, alone or suffering from depression. For some the sparkling lights, parties and Christmas experiences highlight their pain.


Ironically Christmas Carols and Hymns have been one of the weapons in my arsenal for over 20 years as I've learned how, with God's Grace, to subdue depression when it tries to rally against me. There have been seasons in my life where listening to Christmas songs would give me courage and hope which is why my friends know I listen to them throughout the year when necessary.



It turns out that I'm not the only one who has found Hope through the meditations of Emmanuel's journey from heaven to earth to be with us.

The author of today's hymn almost lost his life to illness as a young man and his convalescence included experiencing depression in the following months. His response was to turn to scripture in search of truth and hope during his spiritual crisis. His search eventually led to his recovery and beautiful poetry later put to song.(For more read devotion at this link.)





Because I know the lyrics already I prefer this version by Lindsey Sterling
for the beauty, delicacy and emotion of it. In my heart I hear the words
 but I posted another one below in case you weren't familiar with the lyrics.

My prayer today: What child is this in Mary's lap is sleeping? It is you, Emmanuel. You who came to bring Hope and Light to darkened hearts. Help me to see You today and see your Light which has overcome the darkness. Use me to share your light with those around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment