Saturday, February 15, 2014

Moving Stones: I think my child has a learning disability, what now? Tips and answers from a mom who's been there.

This series of Moving Stones is about getting the stones that litter our field out of the way so our children can grow. Sometimes those stones are learning disabilities and attention differences. These stones can appear to be boulders but with the right tools they can be reduced to pebbles. Here are some questions I'm often asked and resources I've used to help my own and other students.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. I am not an expert, just a mom who has 3 children with  either Asperger's, learning or attention differences. These opinions are based on what worked for my family and meant to encourage you to find the resources that will work for your family.

Should I have my child tested/diagnosed?
Yes. It's very hard to help our children if we don't have the proper diagnosis. When my son was 7 we had him diagnosed by a child psychologist but the diagnosis was inaccurate. We did not receive the proper diagnosis until he was 10. Those 3 years with the wrong diagnosis meant we were only treating symptoms of the problem and not the source. We made some progress during this time but other things became worse. Once we identified the source of his problems we were able to help him more effectively and began to make real progress.

I home school so I already make accommodations for her, why do I need a diagnosis?
A diagnosis is necessary for a child or an adult to receive the rights afforded to them by the Americans with Disabilities Act.  Your child will not always be at home. If your child is going to go to college or technical school they may need accommodations but if they don't have a diagnosis they may not be entitled to it. Want them to receive special accommodations for the SAT like a test reader or no time limit? You need a documented disability. If your college student needs to have a special test environment they need a diagnosis to get what they need from the college. Without a diagnosis the college does not have to give them what they need and depending on the professor, the school, their funding and resources they may not give it to your child. Which is better: having a tool and never needing it or not having the tool  when you need it?

How do I get my child diagnosed?
My first choice is a child psychologist and very often this is covered by health insurance under mental health coverage. If you are in the Savannah, Georgia area I recommend the Savannah Child Study Center.
  • Contact your insurance provider to verify your coverage.
  • Talk to other parents of special needs children to get referrals to a psychologist who has a good reputation for diagnosing learning disabilities. 
  • Do some homework before you go. Learn about different learning difficulties and observe your own child's specific struggles so you can work with your psychologist to pin point where the glitch is happening.
I recommend Jill Dixon's The Homeschooler's Guide for Learning Problems- Practical Tips For Daily Success. She explains in easy to understand terms the different glitches and what is happening in the brain.  This will help you understand what the psychologist is saying and be able to work with them to come up with a plan to help your child.

She also has a great tool for Verifying Special Needs on her website.

Should I go to the school system to get my child diagnosed or for services?
That is a personal decision. Some homeschoolers are concerned about possible hostility or interference with their decision to home school if they use the public schools for a diagnosis or special needs services.

First it depends on your state because not every state will give these services to homeschoolers. I understand why people may be concerned and this is a decision only you can make for what is right for your family. Talk with other families in your community to see what the climate is like in your neighborhood school. In my community I have not heard of a home school family being 'visited' because they used the school system for special needs help. I've heard of some teachers not being supportive of homeschooling or not understanding why a family chooses that but I have not heard of harassment. I've also heard of wonderful special education teachers helping home school families. I believe it varies from teacher to teacher and school to school.

My opinion is this, if my child needs help then I will get them that help wherever I can get it from. I did not use the school system but I wish I had gotten my children help sooner.  Wisdom and caution are not the same thing as fear. My fear interfered with some of my decisions and a decision based on fear is often not the wisest decision.

I have a diagnosis, now what?


http://www.edudps.com/learningproblems.html
Don't let the simple cover fool you,
these guides transformed my home.
A frequent challenge is that a psychologist will give you a diagnosis but they may not tell you what to do with it to help your child. I bumbled around in the dark for a long time trying to find resources to help me help my kids and then I heard education consultant Jill Dixon speak. Everything changed for me and my ability to help my kids after I discovered her guides. They are easy to understand, not filled with fluff and give real suggestions to use with your child to help them learn!

These are my top 3 tools in my tool box for helping my special needs children:
What other resources do you suggest?
Here are a few I've used with success AFTER I identified their learning style and learning glitch. Identifying these two things is, in my opinion, the most important first steps. Skipping these steps will only lead to frustration.  Below are just a few of the tips I've found in Jill Dixon's guides.  I don't include her tips for Visual Learners because most commonly used curriculum are already designed this way. Very often learning and attention differences are improved by using auditory and tactile approaches.

Note: Test yourself for your learning style also. I've observed that one of the leading factors in frustration between teacher and student is when the teacher has a different learning style than the student. We teach in the same way we learn. Teachers who learn to teach according to the styles of their students find positive results. 

Auditory Learners:
  • Leap Frog Videos helped my daughter reinforce the symbol with the sound (she watched it EVERY day for months and months before she finally was able to make a solid connection).
  • Alpha Phonics and Phonics Pathways were the most effective tools for my two dyslexic children. It emphasizes word families. AVKO Sequential Spelling is also good.
  • Choral Reading is a method where the teacher/parent reads a passage aloud and then the child reads the passage aloud. At first I thought my son might have been reciting what I was saying and not reading but then I realized he really was reading.
  • Use flash cards for reading and math- make sure they are saying them aloud. Use a timer with the math facts and keep a record of their time so they can see tangible proof of their improvement.  My daughter recognized her improvement was from regular practice and her regression was from neglecting daily math and not just me nagging.
  • Increase reading comprehension by having children 'narrate' the story back to you (they tell you in their own words what they read or heard) or tell the story to their siblings.
  • Audio books transformed my daughter's reading ability. The trick is to have them listen AND read along with  the hard copy. I talk more about this in my blog about cultivating a love of reading.
Tactile/Kinesthetic Learners:
  • Use manipulatives to teach spelling, word families and math facts/concepts.
  • Tactile learners benefit from stimulating their fingertips with different textures. An example of this would be to have them write words or math facts in a tray full of Jell-o mix or sand.
  • Help memorize math facts, sight words or letters by pounding golf tees or tacks into a cork board labeled with words.
  • Help reading comprehension by having child act out scenes from a story or use Legos to build a scene or characters from the story.
  • Build math story problems with Legos or other manipulatives.
Reading Comprehension:
To improve reading comprehension it helps to separate the mechanics of reading from having to comprehend the story. I talk more about that here but the short version is dyslexics brains are wired differently and they must work harder than the average reader just to decode the symbols on a page let alone understand their complex meaning.

http://www.edudps.com/jill-dixon-eclectic-academy-of-learning.html
Acting out stories is fun &
helps  with comprehension.
  • Read stories aloud or use auditory books while children play with legos, clay, paint, or other tactile stimulation.
  • Pause to ask them questions about the story as you go.
  • Read aloud comprehension questions BEFORE you read the story. Tell children to 'listen' for the answer as you go along. Younger students should only be asked to look for one or two questions at a time, ask questions as you go along through the story.
  • Have children act out or draw scenes or thematic concepts from the story.
Encourage Story Telling & Creative Writing:
Read more about how this looks in my house here. By giving kids room to tell their own stories (and listening to them) you will encourage them to want to read other people's stories. Learning to write helps cultivate reading.
    http://www.edudps.com/wwtb.htmlhttp://www.edudps.com/rootsandfruits.html
  • We use Write With the Best because it breaks down the most important aspects of why good writing is good and it has a track record for successfully helping reluctant writers as well as special needs writers. (I've used both Volume 1 & 2, we've re-used them every year for the last 8 years.)
  • Cultivate Vocabulary with Roots & Fruits. There are creative and fun reproducible worksheets to make vocabulary 3 dimensional and you can use this book every year (buy it once and your done!). My kids favorite is the Silly Sentence. My son picked a group of characters who he wrote silly sentences about every week using his weekly vocabulary words. The adventures of Alligator, Tiger, Koala and Ewok continue to be one of my favorite memories of home schooling  along with the continuing problems of my daughter's Elf labor union who fought regularly against the injustice of toy and cookie factories. We laughed and they learned.
  • Creative writing is a right brain activity but the act of physically writing is left brain. I separated these two activities by having my children dictate their stories to me. This freed up their creative juices from the very difficult task of hand writing, spelling and reading. It built their confidence as writers and made them want to read. (I'm not an advocate of multi-tasking when it comes to learning, especially regarding special needs learners.)
The Best for Last.
Take a deep breath. Let it out. Remember to breath. Now relax. Your children need you to breath and relax. I mean it when I say that everything is going to be alright. Your children will not end up as hobos. You are actively pursuing help one step at a time which makes you the best advocate for your child. You don't have to do this by yourself.

I truly believe it is not my job as a parent to be the expert on everything or do everything myself. My job is to move stones so my children can grow.-









\

2 comments: