Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lazy Cook: Fake it Till You Make it Red Lentil Dahl

The frugal lazy cook is back in the kitchen. I visited the new Whole Foods recently to make myself feel healthier without any effort. I walked out with a 'bulk' purchase of red lentils because a friend had told me it was both healthy and yummy.

The frugal cook in me was stoked to buy about 3 cups of dried lentils for less than $3. The lazy cook was shocked at the easy instructions (3 cups liquid to 1 cup lentils, bring to boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes). Geez, how easy and cheap is that?!

Then I looked in my fridge and found all sorts of goodies that seemed to go together. I didn't have any real plan just the guidelines for cooking the lentils. So here is my first ever attempt at making dahl (a lentil stew with onions from South Asia). Note: Like most of my recipes use whatever you have on hand. The only important step that can't change is 3 cups liquid to 1 cup lentils.

I love red curry paste and coconut milk.
Hoping it is yummy with these lentils and leeks.
Ingredients:
1 leek thinly sliced or chopped
1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
1/2 to whole sweet pepper (I used yellow) sliced or chopped
2 large carrots thinly sliced
3-5 teaspoons red curry paste
1 cup red lentils
1 can coconut milk
~2 cups broth (combine with coconut milk and add enough broth to equal 3 cups liquid), I used chicken broth I made and froze from a rotisserie chicken  but vegetable would be tasty too.
2 cups fresh spinach (or thawed package of frozen spinach)

Step 1:
Sauté carrots, sweet onion, leeks, yellow pepper, garlic in coconut oil.

Step 2:
This is what it looks like once you add the liquid.
After 3-5 minutes add 2-3 teaspoons red curry paste to pan and toss to coat veggies. Sauté 2 minutes or until the curry aroma starts to rise from the pan.

Step 3:
Add 3 cups liquid, 1 cup red lentils and season with Himalayan pink salt to taste. Cover and bring to boil then simmer about 35-45** minutes until lentils are soft (they will burst like split peas in split pea soup). I followed the directions from the bulk dispenser at World Market to know how to cook the lentils. Add more curry paste to taste a teaspoon at a time if you want a stronger flavor.


Add two handfuls of fresh spinach and let it wilt then stir.
Step 4:
**About 10 minutes to go add spinach and stir in so it wilts.

Step 5:
Serve over pungent Jasmine or Basmati rice.










The Verdict:
When asked if I should make it again my husband said, "Yes. Next time add grilled chicken."  Then I informed him this was my attempt to come up with a satisfying 'meatless' meal so we could try to be like those healthy people we envy who practice a weekly meatless meal. He was only mildly disappointed and said, "I'm okay with that."



2 comments:

  1. Hello Heather. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and it was also good to stop by your blog " Heather M. Flood" and the post on it "Lazy cook: Fake it till you Make it Red Lentil Dahl". Well looking at the prepration it looks very Indian as I am from India. We make use of yellow Lentil in our daily food preprations. Well this gives me an oppprtunity to share with you an opportunity to come to Mumbai, India on a short term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai among poorest of poor sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and giving them new hope, future and life. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 34yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the States to come to Mumbai on a short term missions trip to work with us during their summer vacation. We would love to have your teen aged children along with other youth from your church to come on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their summer vacation. We would also love to have you come and in what ever way you want to help us in the minisry, will be appreciated very much. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diwakar! Thank you for your encouraging comment. My husband is very much interested in knowing more about your ministry. He himself went on a short terms missions trip to India many years ago including Mumbai although he spent most of his time in the area of Madras. He would love to know more about the work you do there. Praying for you to be empowered by His Grace and Holy Spirit to not grow weary in doing good but to have the courage to love as Jesus loves. Peace to you brother in Christ! ~Heather

      Delete