Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why Algebra? A non-math teacher's take on it.

To my students who say, "Why do I need math? It's not like I'll ever use it?"

The short answer, 'Yes you will, even algebra.' The longer answer is not learning math (and I mean truly understanding it) can rob you of success and cost you both time and money. By success I mean being able to get the career you want. Read on for my treatise, "Learn from my mistakes! Part 1 of Infinity."

1) It trains your brain to think critically about the world around you. We use math all the time  and even though you don't think of it as algebra adults use it every day without realizing it. Math isn't just 1+1=x. Math is problem solving and project management. If I have to refinish and stain my deck what supplies will I need? How much stain will I need based on the size of my deck and the age of my deck (will older wood soak up more or less stain)? How should I complete this task (if I just start staining without a plan then I will end up using more stain and it may take longer also)?  Why did Mrs. Heather use this as an example? Because this scenario ACTUALLY happened with a man I know. He dropped out of high school because he had a terrible home life (truly terrible) and no one to help him with his schooling. He joined the military and made a career of it. He's done well but he has a VERY hard time accomplishing tasks and managing projects because his brain never learned math. Psychologists have studied the brain and learning math trains the brain to problem solve. If your brain never learned it and never was used that way then it is incredibly hard to use it for every day problem solving. Not learning math makes this man's every day experiences harder. Now he is learning those things- as a man in his mid-40s.

2) Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Geometry are the foundation of higher math. If addition/subtraction/multiplication/division are the basement foundation then high school math is the subfloor and frame work for the house. If you try to attach siding or wall board without a frame what happens? Nothing. Yep, nothing. It's impossible. You can try to lean one wall board against another wall board but that's not a house is it? Every year in every college there are students who either change their major after years of investing time and money or they quit. Do you know why? One very real reason is math. Math is required in every college major. Even the majors you wouldn't think use math require it. For example- a criminal justice degree at our local university requires 2 math courses. That's more than just the 'core' math. It requires statistics. In fact, statistics is the main reason I did NOT finish my Psychology degree. I took it twice. I dropped it the first time then managed to get a 'C' the second time but I didn't understand it. I couldn't use it. And that meant I couldn't complete my year long research thesis to get my degree. I was 4 classes away from getting my psychology degree and couldn't do it. This happens all the time. Students show up to college without having mastered the basics of math and they are swamped by college math. My son's math teacher, Mrs. Beverly Locklear, taught math for 14 years in a college and she said every year- EVERY YEAR- she had college seniors in her class who were having to change their major because they couldn't pass the college math required for their major. She said it was almost always because they did not master Algebra and the high school level math courses. They were trying to install wall board without a framework to attach it to.

3) If neither of those reasons seems satisfying to you then ponder this. Sometimes in life....actually, quite often in life, you must complete things that seem pointless or a waste of time but they are required and not doing them will result in serious negative consequences. Filing taxes every year comes to mind. So, to use a rude colloquialism, learn to 'suck it up, buttercup'. In order to get what you want (ie- a high school diploma, a job in the field you want, a pay check, not to be jailed for tax evasion) you have to do stuff you don't like. It's called being a grown up. And your job as an adolescent is to learn how to be functioning, independent grown up.

Still feel like math stinks and it must be an alien language? Then find someone to help you. "The Lord resists the proud and draws near to the humble." Find a tutor. Don't have money for one? The library has them. The online library offers free tutoring. Figure out how to get what you need and don't let something as 'stupid' as math keep you from accomplishing what you were made to do. Stop making excuses and do what needs to be done so you don't end up like the guy in Reason #1 or worse, that guy who is 56 and living in his parents' basement. Harsh? Maybe, but life is harsh.

~Mrs. Heather

I have been teaching history, geography, government and creative learning to other people's children for 10 years and I've been mentoring adolescents and young adults for over 20 years. Every year I am asked, "Why Math?" I am also asked, "Why Humanities (i.e. literature and history)?" This is what I tell parents and students alike. If you struggle with math or struggle teaching math then I will give you this piece of advice that I waited way to long to act on with my own kids. It's pretty big, are you ready? Ask someone for help. Seriously. Get a tutor. Push aside every excuse and get the help you need. That particular piece of advice applies to most things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment